The Norwich State Hospital, originally established as Norwich State Hospital for the Insane was a psychiatric hospital. It opened its doors in October 1904 and it remained operational until October 10, 1996. Throughout its years of operation, it housed geriatric patients, chemically dependent patients and, from 1931 to 1939, patients with tuberculosis. The hospital began with a single building on 100 acres of land and expanded to, at its peak, over thirty buildings and 900 acres. A 70-acre property including the hospital was listed as an historic district on the National Register of Historic Places in 1988. There is not much left that remains of the old Norwich Hospital. The hospital is currently owned by the local casino and the remaining buildings sit empty and vandalized. At this time, it is unknown what the casino plans to do with the property.