Westborough State Hospital, originally “Westborough Insane Hospital,” was established in 1884 on the grounds of the State Reform School for Boys. The buildings were renovated to accommodate the needs of a mental hospital and was opened on December 1st, 1886. This was the first homeopathic hospital for the insane established in New England. The hospital was closed in 2010, in anticipation of a new Worcester State Hospital opening in 2012. The ten-bed deaf unit, the two adolescent units, and the intensive residential treatment program were closed by June 2010. During its time more than 500 patients died at Westborough State Hospital and many remains were unclaimed and subsequently buried in a potters field. The hospital was completely demolished in 2019 for a new apartment complex.