The mausoleum was built in 1926 and operated by a local man, and after he passed away his daughters took on the responsibility of its upkeep. After the death of the sisters in 2000 and 2002, the building was placed in receivership and in January 2005 it was condemned as structurally unsound by the city leaving 527 people entombed within. While a few families have removed their loved ones already, the emotional trauma of relocating a deceased relative along with having to finance a second burial is not something many are able to do. For many of those entombed in the mausoleum, there is no family to come forth. There is now a locked fence around the building and the mausoleum itself is also locked. The future of the building is uncertain at this time.